Get the Benefits of a Secure Website Without Buying SCA
Why Secure Your Entire Site? When you view a webpage, that information passes through a dozen or more servers to get to you. If that URL starts with https://, anyone in the path can view or even modify the contents of the page. ISPs insert their own ads in web pages, can now legally track & sell your browsing history, and many governments around the world collect massive troves of browsing data. Securing your entire site (instead of just the checkout portion) is now considered a very good thing to do for your users. It’s nearly impossible for a ‘man in the middle’ to extract or change information on secure pages. It’s a win for the user. Here is a more detailed explanation of HTTP vs HTTPS if you want more background.
Benefits of Using a CDN
- Your pages load faster for users and search engines, which may boost your organic rankings and conversion rates.
- Avoid bottlenecks during peak usage – when your site is the busiest, the CDN will keep it from slowing down.
- Google has stated they give a small rankings boost for secure sites.
Google Gives Us Extra Motivation
Google has a mind-boggling amount of influence over the web, thanks to its near monopoly of search traffic. There are two main benefits:
- A small organic rankings boost for HTTPS sites
- Referrer data will be preserved when users come to your site from a secure URL, like search results pages (SERPs).
Obviously everyone wants a rankings boost, but the lead has really been buried – the return of keyword data! Currently, Google still hides the keyword even for HTTPS websites. I hope public pressure can get them to change their mind, as their stance is pretty hypocritical. Other HTTPS search engines DO provide the keyword, like Bing. Read more on Google’s privacy hypocrisy here.
Options for Site Builder Websites
NetSuite has said multiple times that they will not be offering Site Builder sites any way to make their entire site secure. Maybe they think that will get more businesses to spend six figures on their SuiteCommerce Advanced behemoth, but it’s not necessary for site-wide HTTPS.
Content Delivery Networks to the Rescue
With the right technology, you can get your entire site running on HTTPS without upgrading from Site Builder. A content delivery network (CDN) works by sitting between your site and your users, speeding up the flow of information by caching it and delivering it from servers that are closer to the user. Some CDNs like Cloudflare also offer the ability to convert your HTTP sections to HTTPS. I have done this on my test drive site as a proof of concept:
Sounds Great! How’s It Done?
There are some technical aspects to this:
- Code updates in site builder to ensure compatibility with CDN (can be somewhat complex)
- Configuring the CDN
- Purchase & set up a custom SSL certificate (optional)
- Post-launch testing & fixes
Contact Us for More Details
More from Fourth Wave
Latest posts by David Norris (see all)
- NetSuite Announces Plans to End Promotion Functionality for Site Builder - January 16, 2020
- Most NetSuite Websites Are No Longer Tracking Safari Conversions for Adwords - November 20, 2017
- Make Your NetSuite Site Builder Site Secure – HTTPS Throughout - May 28, 2017
- An Introduction to Automating XML Sitemaps for NetSuite Companies - November 13, 2016
- An Introduction to NetSuite’s Reference Checkout & My Account Bundles - April 18, 2016